Saint Luke School follows a balanced approach to reading and the language arts. This approach, consistent with current research in literacy learning, integrates systematic skills instruction in phonics, spelling, and grammar with reading and writing in a variety of genres.
Students will develop:
- Phonemic awareness by identifying sounds and patterns in word recognition.
- Strategies for word recognition, paragraph content, and comprehension. The Accelerated Reader program is used in grades K-8 to improve reading comprehension.
- Skills for the writing process including writing, revising, and collaborative peer editing.
- An active and ever-expanding vocabulary through literature, writing, and practice.
- An appreciation for various genres of literature including poetry, plays, biographies, novels, short stories, etc.
- The necessary skills to express themselves through the written and spoken word in all of their subjects.